International Students


FAQ for Exchange Students



Applicants must be enrolled at our partner university at the time of application, and continuously enrolled until the end of the exchange study period at Shizuoka University.

Also, a reasonable command of Japanese and/or English will be required. (We don’t designate specified score. However, please be aware that the medium of instruction depends on undergraduate or graduate, department, classes to take.

We don’t have any designate score on GPA, but applicants need to submit their transcript of academic record when they apply for this program.

Exchange students are defined as Non-degree students to study at Shizuoka University without aiming to earn a degree from the university. (That is to be called “Special Auditor students” at our university.)

A transcript for the approved credits will be issued upon the student’s request.

Shizuoka University will decide the faculty for successful applicant based on his/her major and study plan, language proficiency and so on after careful consideration.

After Shizuoka University decides, we don’t accept any request for the change of faculty/department or campus.


Please additionally attach “Research plan” and “Prospective supervisor name” with your application documents. And please look into and find the prospective supervisor by yourself through our webpage. 

Please be sure to check carefully your research plan matches faculty members’ research fields.

Information of scholarships we can provide with students are for our Regular students (Full-Time, Degree-Seeking Students) who expect to complete the designated undergraduate or graduate curricula of the university.

At the moment, we don’t have any information regarding scholarship available to exchange students. When we have it, we’ll surely let you know but there’re no scholarship applicable in the average year.

It is recommended that prospective exchange students explore scholarship opportunities in their home countries and home universities by themselves.

Including the application to scholarship, please be sure to prepare enough money to cover all the expense for stay in Japan by oneself.

Class Registration

Please see this webpage.

You can find the detailed information of it which offers for international students including exchange students. (in Japanese/ in English)

Before the first class begins, you can have “Japanese Class Orientation” and “Japanese Language Placement Test”. According to the result, your class level will be decided and you can attend the classes to improve your language skills.

Please be aware that you will not be able to attend any Japanese Language Classes if you don’t take that test.

By Japanese law, to maintain residence status “student”, exchange students who study through auditing courses exclusively are required to take time to joining classes more than 10 hours(600 minutes) per week.

One class hour in Shizuoka University means 90 minutes, so students are required more than 7 classes per week.

If an exchange student is a master level and mainly do research activity at the university, the above mentioned hours includes the time not only classes but also research.

Also, please note that there is a possibility that students may not be able to take some classes, such as exercises or classes with a limited number of students.

At the undergraduate level, most of classes are taught in Japanese. (We have some classes in English as General Education.)

If an international student would like to study his/her major and to take these classes, the high command of Japanese must be required.

At the graduate (Master Course) level, it depends on the courses.

Some courses in Agriculture, Science, Engineering and Informatics may be offered in English.

Generally, all the courses in the Humanities and Social Sciences and the Education are given in Japanese.

Exchange students will decide classes to take, consulting with one’s supervisor after arriving in Japan and joining this program.

Students will be notified the registration process by the office of the faculty/department they will belong to.

Please refer to the Syllabus on our website.

*For English page, please click “English Search” in the middle of the page.

However, please be aware of that all course lists in the syllabus as of this year are subject to change in the year which you wish to study in. Some courses may not be available every year or semester.

And next year’s syllabus will be opened just before the Spring semester of each academic year.

To finally confirm the course registration, exchange students need to consult with one’s supervisor.

You will be able to do that after consulting with your supervisor and getting permission of him/her and the faculty member in charge of the class. However, please be aware of that you could not be allowed to do that if it is determined that the necessary basic knowledge or Japanese language skills are insufficient.

Also, please note that there’re possibility students cannot take some classes like practices, or classes with limitation of number of students.

Additionally, students belongs to the Faculty of Global Interdisciplinary Science and Innovation cannot register any classes in other faculties.

The following plans are seemed if you will enroll for one semester (6months).

Japanese beginning students: 10-15 Japanese classes of the Intensive Course /week

Japanese intermediate students: 5-6 Japanese classes and 1-2 academic class (es) / week Japanese advanced students: 2-3 Japanese classes and 4-5 academic classes / week

If you stay for 2 semesters (1year), you may be able to take more academic classes, less Japanese classes.

Please note that which class the student can take depends on ones language proficiency. We highly recommend that you take some advanced classes so that you can improve your Japanese Language.

Official transcripts are available upon the student’s request.

Please apply at the office of the faculty/department the student belong to. (It takes some time to be issued.)

Student Life

It’s recommended to prepare about 80,000 yen/month.

We would like applicants to submit any certificate (e.g. Certificate of deposit balance issued by bank, Statement of Defraying Expenses or Certificate of scholarship) to confirm to guarantee your living expenses during your study life at Shizuoka University as a one of the documentations when you apply for.


International Residence application forms will be sent after the notification of acceptance of exchange program, when the time comes.

Most exchange students stay in the International Residence, and they are given priority to move into there, but we cannot guarantee a desired room to all exchange students due to space limitations.

Please see details about the information of the housing on our webpage.

Exchange students can reside in the university’s dormitories upon their application.

Exchange students in Shizuoka campus will be able to apply for the” (1)Shizuoka International Residence”, and those who study in Hamamatsu campus will be able to apply for the “(2)Hamamatsu International Residence Ⅱ” , “(3)Hamamatsu International Residence Ⅰ” or “(4)Akebono-Ryo”.

We will let you know once it’s decided according to the date of orientation or university’s schedule, which exchange students should attend.

The average year, students enrolled in April -after April 1.

Students enrolled in October, they can move in there around last week of September.

We cannot change the date sooner or later as per student’s request.

After notification from Shizuoka University, please book your flight.

Exchange students will be required to submit their flight schedule when we need. Also, we highly recommend that arrival airport would be Narita airport, Haneda airport, Chubu airport, Kansai airport, where new arrivals can receive the residence card.


All students will choose and take transportation by themselves.

We’ll provide students maps and guide for transportation when we announce regarding the entry into Japan.

Please consult with the faculty/department office which the student belong to.

For new-coming international students, tutor student will be assigned to support.

Especially, until new students get settled into new life in Japan, tutor will assist them with procedures inside and outside the university. And of course, the staffs of the office of the faculty/department you belong to will help and support all students.

Also, the International Student counselor can give all international students some advice in either English or Japanese. The counselor deals with not only serious mental problems but also various problems that international students face in daily life.

Please find more info about counseling at the webpage below.


Other than classes, students can get into student circles or clubs, which is called bukatsu “部活”.

Also, it’s recommended for students to participate in international activities and events at the international lounge.

*Please see details about the international lounge at this webpage. 

Exchange students can work a part time job up to 28 hours a week (during summer, winter and spring ho

  1. Which SIM card is recommended after starting the student life in Japan?

We don’t have any recommendation, as students apply and pay for it by themselves. Please choose one good for each one after checking the service and cost.

Students will need to first to have their address registered in order to purchase a SIM card and sign a contract.

lidays up to 8 hours per day is permitted) if the students have gotten a special permission by the Immigration Bureau of Japan. If hope to do, please apply by oneself.

*Refer to the link to the webpage in the Immigration Bureau of Japan

We don’t have any recommendation, as students apply and pay for it by themselves. Please choose one good for each one after checking the service and cost.

Students will need to first to have their address registered in order to purchase a SIM card and sign a contract.

To the top of the page