International Students

Campus Life


Shizuoka University offers service and information about the International Residence, Dormitories, Apartments and Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance.

1. Shizuoka University International Residence

The International Residence was established to provide housing for International Students and researchers, as well as to promote international communication. The maximum period of residence is one year in principle. Due to capacity restrictions, not all applicants can be accepted.

(1)Shizuoka International Residence (3-4-6, Oshika, Surugaku, Shizuoka City)

Built in March 2016. 5 story building. Elevator is not equipped.
Address 3-4-6 Oshika, Suruga-ku, Shizuoka, 422-8021
Distance to Shizuoka campus: 10 min. by bicycle, 15 min. by bus
Furnished apartment. One UNIT is composed of 5 private rooms and shared common area.

I. Monthly expenses
Room type Number of rooms Monthly Payment(Int’l Student) Common service fees
Single (Unit) 95 24,000yen 2,400yen
Single (Compartment) 9 28,000yen 2,400yen
Double 1 38,000yen 4,000yen
Family 2 46,000yen 5,600yen

※Wi-Fi and bedclothes are included in common service fees.
※Utilities fee is charged based on the amount used.

II.One-time expenses upon resident
Room type Room cleaning fee
Single (Unit) 13,200yen
Single (Compartment) 18,000yen
Double 32,000yen
Family 34,000yen

○Building Equipment: multipurpose room
○UNIT Equipment: dining kitchen, air conditioner , washing machine and dryer, shower, washroom, Wi-Fi, storage room, shoe locker
○Private room equipment: single bed, desk, closet, bedclothes
※Bedclothes: Blanket, Pillow, Linens
※Linens are collected once a month for cleaning.
※No Parking. No smoking on the premises

(2)Hamamatsu International Residence Ⅱ (22-1, Shijimizuka 3 chome, Naka-ku Hamamatsu City)

Applicants : International students
Address: 3-22-1 Shijimizuka, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu, 432-8018
Building: Built in 2016. Five-story building. Elevator is not equipped.
Distance to Hamamatsu campus: 10 minutes by bicycle, 30 minutes on foot
Furnished apartment. Private room and common area shared with 5 students.

I. Monthly expenses
Room type Number of rooms Monthly Payment(Int’l Student) Common service fees
Single 95 23,000yen 2,700yen

※Utilities fee is charged based on the amount used.

II.One-time expenses to moving in
Room type Room cleaning fee
Single 5,500yen

Room equipment: single bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, air conditioner
*Bring your own bed clothes or pay for monthly rental fee
Unit equipment: kitchen, dining table, chair, refrigerator, microwave oven, toaster, shower room, washing machine, dryer, cleaner, common-space Wi-Fi
Building equipment: meeting room

Room Type Number of rooms Room size students researchers
Monthly Payment Monthly Payment By the day (stay of less than 29 days) By the day (stay of more than 29 days)
Single 95 15.69m² 23,000yen 23,000yen 850yen 770yen

※Utilities fee is charged based on the amount used.

(3)Hamamatsu International Residence Ⅰ (22-1, Shijimizuka 3 chome, Naka-ku Hamamatsu City)
Room Type Number of Rooms Room size students researchers Common service fees
Monthly Payment Monthly Payment By the day (stay of less than 29 days) By the day (stay of more than 29 days)
Single 35 12.42m² 5,900yen 6,971yen 235yen 232yen6,900yen
Couple 11 35.40m² 9,500yen 17,314yen 589yen 577yen 3,900yen~※
Family 6 52.80m² 14,200yen 25,015yen 852yen 833yen3,900yen~※

※Fees are set according to the number of residents: 3,900 yen for 1 person, 5,500 yen for 2 persons, 7,100 yen for 3 persons, and 8,700 yen for 4 persons.

(4)Akebono-Ryo (22-1, Shijimizuka 3 chome, Naka-ku Hamamatsu City)
Room Type students Number of Rooms Room size students
Monthly Payment
Single Japanese students(F) 46 15.00m² 15,000yen
Overseas students(M) 32 15.00m²
Overseas students(F) 13 15.00m²
Disabled students 1 30.00m²

2. Dormitories

There are two dormitories in Shizuoka, Katayama (4 beds per room) and Yuho (4 beds per room), and one dormitory in Hamamatsu, Akatsuki (two beds per room). Some International Students may be granted residence depending on availability. However, each room is very small, and are tatami-floored. Each dormitory also has its own set of rules. International students may encounter difficulties residing in the dorms.

Dormitories Type Address Monthly Payment
Katayama male 422-8531
836 Oya, Suruga-ku, Shizuoka City
Akatsuki male 432-8018
22-1, Shijimizuka 3-chome, Naka-ku, Hamamatsu City

The dormitory fee excludes a fee of approx. ¥17,000/ month for board (breakfast and supper), electricity, gas, water and other utilities. If you wish to apply for residence in a dormitory, please contact the Welfare Division on the Shizuoka campus or the Students Section on the Hamamatsu campus.

3. Apartments

The university does not directly assist students in securing apartments. However, for those interested in finding an apartment, please consult the co-op (located at both Shizuoka and Hamamatsu campuses), which will provide such assistance.

  1. Please select an apartment to meet your needs (e.g., room size, rent, maintenance fee, deposit, and distance to school).
  2. Before renting the apartment, the student must confirm and accept the condition of the apartment, the neighborhood where the apartment is located, and the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.
  3. If satisfied with the condition of the apartment, please ensure that you understand and are satisfied with the leasing terms (e.g., rent, return of the security deposit part way through the lease, and various other fees) before signing the lease.
  4. In 1979, several laws were passed to help respond in case of an earthquake disaster in Shizuoka Prefecture. In 1981, architectural rules were changed and buildings that have been built since the changes are considered to be safer than older buildings. Before signing a lease, please ensure that the building is considered safe. In the 1995 Kobe earthquake, many students perished, due to living in old and unsafe buildings.

In the Shizuoka and Hamamatsu area, rent differs depending on how new an apartment facility is, and also whether it is furnished or not. A security deposit is generally equal to 2-3 months rent.

● Apartment Rental Rates (As of January 2013)

Room size Kitchen Toilet Bath Monthly Payment Common service fees
7.5-10m² Shared Shared Shared 10,000-26,000yen 0-3,000yen
10-13m² Private Private Private 25,000-60,000yen 0-4,000yen
Room size Kitchen Toilet Bath Rent Common service fees
7.5-11m² Shared Shared Shared 14,000-26,000yen 0-2,500yen
10-18m² Private Private Private 20,000-55,000yen 0-7,000yen

4. Institutional Guarantee for renting apartment & Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan

In case you have some difficulty in finding a guarantor for renting an apartment, Shizuoka University can provide an institutional guarantee, on condition that you subscribe to the “Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan” managed by Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES). Before applying for the institutional guarantee, please check with the owner of the apartment and the real estate agent to make sure this guarantee is acceptable. The application form is available at the International Student Section of your Faculty. It is required that you submit this form two weeks prior to the date you begin to occupy the apartment.

* Coverage
  1. The renter (liability caused by accidental fire for the owner)
  2. The individual (liability for damages in daily life)
  3. Household items (liability for damages caused by fire, explosion, storm or flood damage, etc.)
  4. The co-signer
* Annual premium
  1. Option A (1 year) = 4,000 yen
  2. Option B (2 years) = 8,000 yen

※If you would like to extend the aforementioned period of indemnity after it ends for six months or less, you can extend it for 2,000 yen.

5. Notes on Moving

* Procedures at the ward or city office
  1. Leaving, Incoming or Changing Residence Procedures
    Submit a “Leaving Residence Notification” at the ward or city office where you live and receive a “Certificate of Leaving”. Then, submit a “Certificate of Leaving” at the ward or city office where you are moving to within 14 days of moving in. If you are changing the residence in the same city, submit a “Changing Residence Notification”.
  2. Residence Card
    Please also update the address on the back of your residence card when you take the procedure mentioned above (1).
  3. National Health Insurance (If you are moving in the different city)
    Return your current Health Insurance Card to the ward or city office where you live. New Health Insurance Card will be issued from the ward or city office where you are moving to.
* Procedures outside of the ward or city office
  1. Electric, Gas, Water and Internet Service
    Contact to electric, gas, water and Internet provider to ask the service stop. When you need to keep the same service in new residence, let them know when you move in the new residence. You may need your customer number that is written on monthly receipts.
  2. Mail forwarding procedures
    If you submit a notification of change of address at the post office, they will forward mail delivered to your previous address to your new address for a period of one year. You can also go to the post office website to change your registered address.
    JAPAN POST Relocation/Forwarding Service URL
  3. Procedure to change address of bank account
    When you move to new residence and your address is changed, please carry out the procedure of changing your address in your bank. If you don’t do that procedure and your bank cannot contact you, you may not be able to use your bank account.
To the top of the page