International Students


Research Student (Embassy Recommendation)

This is a Japanese government (Monbukagakusho) scholarship program conducted by Japanese diplomatic mission (Japanese embassies/consulates). The schedule and other details vary by Japanese embassies/consults, so please contact the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country for details. If you wish to study at Shizuoka University, please apply at the Japanese embassy or consulate, pass the first screening, and complete steps (1) through (2) below by the deadline specified in the application guideline. It may take about one month for the university to respond to your request, so please contact us as soon as possible after you have been passed the first screenings.

Overseas diplomatic missions

Websites of Japanese Embassies, Consulates and Permanent Missions | Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (

(1) Find out if there is a faculty member at Shizuoka University with whom you would like to study, and if so, confirm the department and major to which he/she belongs. Check the information on the following websites well in advance and carefully determine whether you can study in your desired field of study.

Faculty Database

*Please check carefully whether there are departments and majors that match your goal of study and research plan.

Faculties, Graduate Schools, Research Institutes

(2) After you find a prospective supervisor, contact the International Affairs Section of Shizuoka University regarding items 1 to 5 below and submit us those which you submitted to the Japanese diplomatic mission as attachments (10MB or less). Inquiries must be made by e-mail.

What you need to tell in your email

1. Name

2. Nationality

3. Name of desired supervisor and his/her affiliation

4. Name of current university, company, organization you belong to

5. Prospective student status:

 Non-degree research student, Graduate student (master course/doctoral course)

◆Documents to be submitted

◎Certificate of acceptance for the first screening (copy) issued by the diplomatic mission abroad.

1) Application form

2) Field of Study and Research Plan

3) Academic transcript for all academic year of university attended

4) Certificate of graduation or degree certificate of the university attended

5) Recommendation letter from the president/dean or the academic advisor at the current or last university attended

6) Abstracts of theses (Only if submitted to the Japanese diplomatic mission)

7) Certificate of language proficiency (Only if submitted to the Japanese diplomatic mission)

8) Recommendation letter from the president employer (Only if submitted to the Japanese diplomatic mission)

9) Photograph(s) showing applicant’s own works of art or a digitally recorded media of musical performance (Only if submitted to the Japanese diplomatic mission)

To the top of the page